25.4.11

a word or two on my film cameras

A few years back my grandma gave me some old cameras that were just collecting dust in her attic.

There was a pretty great assortment. As you can see, three brownies, a kodak EK4, an argus something, an Imperial Mark XII Flash, and a Konica C35. Also in the booty was flashbulbs for the brownie reflex (pictured in the glass jar to the left), a flash holder, a roll of 120 film that expired in '64, and a couple different leather camera cases.
 Up until a couple months ago, I didn't really seriously pursue actually using any of the cameras for photo taking. When she first gave them to me, I took them simply because I thought they all looked all vintage-y and cool and was sure they would make a nice addition to my room decor
I still think the cameras look nifty, but I finally actually decided to start researching the cameramodels/film types, figuring out how they work(or if they still work), and actually putting some film in them if I could and taking some photos. I decided to Google the camera pictured to the far right, the Brownie Reflex, to see what sort of film it takes/how to go about exposing a photo with it. I came across OrphanCameras.com, which is a website entirely devoted to well... Supplying manuals in PDF form for 'orphan cameras'. It's awesome. Just sayin'. I downloaded manuals for the brownie reflex, and the konica and decided that since the konica uses 35mm, and the brownie uses 120, it would be logical to start with the konica as 120film is a bit of a process to acquire/develop. 
  So that's where I'm at. I've read the manual front to back and then some (with that fancy iPhone of mine, I can download the PDF straight to iBooks), and shot and had one roll developed. Only about half of the shots even remotely turned out simple because I'm used to the digital machine-gun-shooting way of taking photos and didn't shoot the rest very carefully, but 35mm is still semi readily available here in NP to purchase and develop.

Here's the ones that kinda turned out:

My lovely cul-de-sac on a cloudy sunday morning 

Fourth Street has such neat trees 

Gotta have a self-portrait, right? ha

starbucks. 

I just like the feel this camera has. The colors are fun and a nice change of pace from digital, or even my canon rebel film camera
-h

No comments:

Post a Comment